Friday, May 10

Have you ever wanted to go "PicTapGo" ?

You may have heard about Totally Rad actions and Rad Lab for Adobe Photoshop? Those are photo editing tools well known amongst photographers. The makers of those popular editing tools, Totally Rad! Inc, have now developed a new app for iPhones, based on the same principle as the Rad Lab plug-in: 

PicTapGo! (check out the cool video on this link!)

I'm already using Rad Lab for editing most of my DSLR pictures in Photoshop, and I love it! I really appreciate how PicTapGo is using the same filters that I already know from Rad Lab and how it works in the same simple and time-effective way. In this tutorial I will show and tell you what you can expect from this new app and what makes it stand out from the rest of the many many photo editing apps out there.


Here are my favorite features of this app:
  1. The my style function, which records and memorizes the filters and recipes you use most
  2. you can make and save your own recipes to use over and over
  3. 55 filters to choose from
  4. very, very easy to use
  5. cool, but subtle vintage filters
  6. filters are all 100% adjustable
  7. very easy to undo and redo
  8. live filter previews
  9. Full-Frame Instagram option, which allows users to share full-frame (uncropped) images on Instagram


My favorite function in this app is the possibility of making recipes. I can combine the different filters to create a custom made filter that fits my style and pictures perfectly and use it over and over again. These are some of my own:


Here are some before and after examples of pictures I have edited in PicTapGo with my own recipes:
 Edited with a recipe based on the "High fives" filter

 Edited with a recipe based on the filters "Crispity", "Lights On" and "High fives"

 Edited with a recipe I called "BW cool" (see example above)

 Edited with a recipe based on the "Lux" vintage filter

 Edited with a recipe based on the "Bleached" filter

   Here's an overview of all the filters you can choose from:



The interface of this app is a delight; simple and very easy to manage:


Conclusion: This is definitely an app worth adding to your app collection and I think it earns every one of the 5 stars it is rated at in the iTunes store! At only $ 1.99 there is no reason not to buy it in my opinion. It's suited for beginners as well as advanced mobile photographers. For me it's not a stand-alone app (at least not for all pictures) as it's missing some basic editing functions (like straightening and selective adjustments), but you can do a lot with it and end up with pretty amazing pictures with just a few taps. I think it's worth the purchase for the filters and the "Recipe" function alone:) The fact that it is so easy to use is a huge plus of course. For those of you who prefer a different format than square on Instagram, you will definitely like the "Full frame Instagram" function.

Now all there is left for me to say is: start making recipes and have fun!!!!

Also, if you tag your pictures edited with PicTapGo with #pictapgo, #pictapgo_app and the hashtag for the used filter, ie. #montecito on Instagram, you're in for a chance to be featured on the PicTapGo blog and Instagram profile, which is not bad at all;) Good luck!!!

19 comments:

Marianne/skorpionen said...

Det høres veldig interessant ut! Jeg er helt fersk i dette, siden jeg nettopp har fått meg Iphone (veldig påvirket av de som var på kurs med deg i Tønsberg på casa-treffet) hihi
Det at det var så mange filtre synes jeg var topp og det at det passer til slike nybegynnere som meg.
Og tusen takk for titten fra turen til Paris, fantastiske bilder (og noen av dem fikk jeg fryktelig lyst til å ha tatt selv - og scrappet hihi)
ha en flott kveld!

Lise Lacroix said...

Hi Marianne,

This app looks really great! I love how you can save your recipes and reuse them. Looking at the examples you posted, I can see how the app brings out the details and improves the colours, but your pics were great to begin with!

I love following your travels on Instagram!

Thanks
Lise

Marianne said...

Det var hyggelig å høre Marianne! Gøy med iPhone:) Lykke til med alt og tusen takk for ros og komplimenter!

Marianne said...

Hi Lise and thank you for your compliments and input! Cheers!

Xavier @reivax73 said...

Bonjour Marianne,

You made a very interesting article here :-) I shall say that I didn't know rad lab and I looked their homepage: their products look to be very well designed and intuitive :-) I will try it with my Lightroom.

For the mobile photo, thx for pointing out the new app. it looks fine. I think the possibility to save its own recipes looks to be the key feature for me. Other apps doesn't have it.

Have a nice weekend.

Xavier

Erica said...

Thanks for sharing! The opportunity to save filter combinations and customizations sounds like a real bonus! I like the idea of being able to create a series of photos that have all been edited in the same way.

Isabelledb said...

Hi M, thx for the explanation! You might remember me from Seemyleuven, or not?;) I did hear about the app already, but didn't take the time to look it up. So it great that you explained it! And what a difference some changes make. Thx for sharing this with us!👍👋👍👋

Marianne said...

Salut Xavier! And thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you liked it and I'm sure you'll like the rad lab too! Btw. for some reason I've always pictured you as a female based on your IG name only... I hearby stand corrected, hihi:):) Cheers!!

Marianne said...

Hi Erica, and that's exactly what I thought when I first found out about the recipes:) Greetings!

Marianne said...

Hi Isabelle! Of course I remember you! How are you? I'm glad you could appreciate the tutorial and hope you will enjoy the app as much as I do:) Groetjes!

@tschang said...

Hi Marianne, after seeing your intro of PicTapGo, I head over here to read your blog in full! The fact that I like about PicTapGo is there are A LOT of effects that you can mix and match to create your own filters and save them for future use - good if you want to create a collection of photos with your personalised signature effects (rather than using the preset ones)!

Thanks again for sharing! I have been searching for new apps to use as I feel like moving on from the current ones that I use for a while!

graçasacadura said...

Hi,
Marianne
Congratulations for this app PicTapGo
that seems very exciting. I like many features:the multiple filters (very natural),the possibility of using and memorising the recipes of those most liked and used.Also very important for me is the «full frame» effect.

Marianne said...

again thank you to all for your comments and input!

Please see my last post to see how to get the code for a free copy of the app.

Best, Marianne:)

Marianne said...

Hi Lise! Plz check my last post:) Surprise for you!

Marianne said...

Hi ! Plz check my last post:) Surprise for you!

Marianne said...

Hi! Plz check my last post:) Surprise for you!

Marianne said...

Hi! Plz check my last post:) Surprise for you!

Shake / DIY Design and Illustration said...

im in love with your blog marianne .
im enricapph on instagram



http://heyimsnap.blogspot.it/

Marianne said...

Thank you very much Enrica! Best wishes from NL:)